- Stay calm
- If anyone is injured or the nature of the accident dictates it, call 911.
- Call the police to report the accident.
- If possible, move your vehicle to a safe location or otherwise indicate a disabled vehicle with flashers or flares
- Take photos of the accident scene and the condition of all vehicles and property involved.
Get the following accident site information:
- Date and time
- Name and address of other driver
- Year/Make/Model of vehicle
- License number
- Insurance carrier
- Insurance phone and policy number
- Are there witnesses?
- Witness name and phone number
- Name of police officer
- Phone and case number — ask for a copy of the case report
Finally, notify your auto insurance carrier immediately. The sooner they know; the sooner they can begin processing your claim.